Red Chile Scallops (Revised from BGE recipe)
Keywords: grill appetizer scallops
Red Chile Rub
- 1 Tbsp. whole coriander seeds
- 1 Tbsp. Aleppo pepper
- 1 Tbsp. red chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp. ancho chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 8 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 1 hour
- 1 lb. large sea scallops (12)
- 2 Tbsp. red chili rub
- 4 Tbsp. melted butter
Red Chile Rub
1. Toast the coriander seed, Aleppo pepper and chili flakes in a small skillet on the stovetop until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. Transfer the toasted spices to a spice grinder along with the ancho chili powder, salt, paprika, garlic powder and brown sugar.
4. Grind for 15 seconds, until the spices are completely ground.
5. Transfer to an airtight container until ready to use.
Note: You will not need all the rub for this recipe, but it can be used on salmon, steaks, chicken, pork or veggies.
Yield: ½ cup
1. Set up the BGE for indirect cooking with a Cookina mat and preheat to 450 – 500 degrees F.
2. Dry the scallops very well with paper towels.
3. Skewer the scallops three to a double-skewer.
4. Season the scallops generously with the chili rub.
5. Place the skewered scallops on the Cookina mat.
6. Close the lid of the BGE and sear the scallops until golden and lightly cooked, about 2 minutes per side.
7. Transfer the scallops to a platter – serve with melted butter and enjoy!