We are preparing for dinner for 14 at our house tomorrow evening. Today was Day 5 of the preparation schedule.
I have three things to say emphatically: 1) I am sooooo incredibly lucky to have the husband I have – he took the day off today to help me clean and prep. I completely understand that not many husbands would do that and so I want to publicly thank him for being such a terrific guy! 2) I am also incredibly glad I got more done yesterday than was on my list. In addition to the things on the list, I also prepped all the ingredients for the food I needed to make today and it was a HUGE help! And finally, 3) I RRREEEAAALLLLLLYYY wish I had a cleaning person (or perhaps a magic wand). As much as I love cooking; I loathe cleaning! But I will admit, now that the house is clean I am really happy. It smells like a combination of clean and yummy right now!
I never did get my walk in with my fuzzy gals yesterday, but I certainly got my share of exercise going up and down the steps and wrestling said fuzzy girls in the shower before getting into bed last nigh!
The following are pics of the progress from yesterday.
Tiramisu….step by step:
Potato Stacks w/ Gruyere, Caramelized Onions & Roasted Garlic:
After a hearty breakfast of savory oatmeal and copious amounts of coffee, Jeff and I got started on our list. On the agenda for today:
- Pick up chairs (did not happen, but will get them tomorrow)
- Cleaning – every room is sparkling at the moment – if only it would stay that way!!!
- Make potato stacks – no, Mark, not curly fries!
- Stuff and partially cook pork roast (and chicken breast for those allergic to pork)
- Hang pictures (didn’t happen yesterday, but done today)
- Iron napkins
- Make vinaigrette
- Roast butternut squash
- Laundry (in order to make sure what we plan to wear tomorrow evening is clean)
- Make iced tea
- Fill nail holes and touch up paint in dining room
We can check everything off the list – and then some. I also finally found a way to display some ornaments I’ve been wanting to display for the last few years and created and embossed a printed note for each place setting.
Tomorrow’s list includes:
- Pick up chairs
- Pick up dishes
- Get a little extra sleep!!!!! Yeah!
- Set table
- Set appetizer buffet
- Set dessert buffet
- Set bar
- Make filling and fill macaroons
- Sweep floors just before everyone arrives
- Spruce up powder room
- Make rolls
- Cook chicken
- Put finishing touches on all food
- Primp and pamper and perhaps take a cat nap
I am looking forward to quality time with our friends and to kicking off the holidays in a festive way. I can’t wait to show you pictures of the evening!